Root Cause Analysis is a problem-solving method in ComplianceQuest to identify the root causes of problems or incidents.
Two methods are used in RCA in CQ. They are:
- Fishbone diagram (Cause and Effect Diagram)
- Why-Why analysis
1. What is a Fishbone Diagram?
- Fishbone Diagram is a basic Quality Investigation Tool that helps to concretize the actual root causes of any Risk/Quality related problems. It is a simple diagram that graphically represents the possible root cause of any problem/defect.
- Brainstorm all the possible contributing factors/causes of the problem in the Investigation Summary of CQ. Ask “Why does this happen?” As is given, the facilitator writes it as a contributing factor from the appropriate category. Contributing factors can be written in several places if they relate to several categories under the Investigation Tool object.
- The most common contributing factors that breakdown the basic reasons for a root cause are:
2. What is Why-Why analysis?
- The why-why analysis is a basic questioning/interrogative technique that helps users to understand the actual root causes of any Risk/Quality related problems. It is a simple technique that involves repeatedly asking the question “Why?” and the answer to each question becomes a lead for asking the next subsequent question. This sequence of question and answer technique allows the user to finally arrive at the actual root cause of the problem/defect.
- The why-why analysis helps the user to target actual underlying causes rather than the superficial symptoms of a particular problem/defect.
- Most root causes can be arrived by asking 5 whys? But it’s not a mandate, the number of Whys can be varied based on the requirements of a user until they are able to arrive at the actual root cause of the problems.
3. What are the Benefits of the Fishbone Diagram / Why-Why analysis tool?
- Users can look at an effect/problem that has already occurred & work backward to investigate the actual root cause and propose corrective action. [Re-active approach]
- Users can work forward into the future and investigate on how to prevent the problem from arising [Pro-active approach]
These approaches can be used in any Manufacturing Industry for the execution of RCA analysis to eliminate the recurrence of any problem/defect.
4. Implementation of the Fishbone Diagram / Why-Why analysis tool in CQ
CQ Investigational Tools provide advanced ways to execute the investigation in identifying the root causes. The tools are available in the following modules:
- Non-conformance management module/Deviation Management system
- CAPA management module
- Complaints management module
- Incident management module
Users can utilize the CQ software Fishbone tool/Why-Why analysis functionality arrive at the root cause after a detailed investigation involving subject matter experts(SMEs) of various stakeholders, further propose an action plan & then finally to close the investigation with an effective Corrective & Preventive Actions(CAPA).
5. Fishbone Analysis in CQ
5.1 Men Related Contributing factor:
5.2 Material & Machine Related Contributed factor:
6. Why Why Analysis in CQ :
These two CQ Investigational Tools allow the users to breakdown the problem/defect and help them to elucidate these and investigate in detail for Data/Facts/Patterns, thus allowing the users to observe & understand the process/workflow for the actual root cause. Effective Monitoring can be executed to ensure that the same problem does not reoccur.
ComplianceQuest (compliancequest.com) is the leading Enterprise Quality Management System (EQMS) natively built and run on the Salesforce Platform. coServe Solutions (coservesolutions.com) is a channel and implementation partner of ComplianceQuest.